Summer is here and it’s time to make some sober memories! Here are a few fun activities that can help you do just that – and they’ll also double-duty to help strengthen your recovery.
- Try something new. With its longer days, summer is the ideal season to gain a new skill – either by taking a class or teaching yourself. Take a yoga class, experiment with some new healthy recipes or test your hand at drawing or painting. The sky’s the limit!
- Make time to read. Not only is reading a great relaxation strategy (especially reading on the beach!), but it can also help with sleep, focus and even motivation if you pick a story about an inspirational character that met a challenging goal or overcame adversity. You can even turn it into a social experience. Join or start a book club with some friends in recovery and discuss your favorite summertime reads.
- Sweat it out. Exercise is a must-do activity for all seasons. It will help release “feel good” chemicals to the brain and body and it’s also a great way to stay social. Recruit an exercise buddy or join an informal biking or running club. Or, just spend some alone time exploring the summer scenery by hiking or taking a walk on the beach.
- Get crafty. Taking some time to explore your artistic side this summer. Some ideas: scrapbooking, journaling, painting, photography, sewing or check out Pinterest for a fun DIY summer craft.
- Enjoy the outdoors. Summer is the perfect time for outdoor movies, concerts and festivals. Just be sure to make sure that you choose wisely. Some events can be dangerous for those in recovery because of the presence of alcohol or drugs. Ask a trusted friend or family member to go with you or organize an outing with a group of sober folks so you can hold each other accountable.
- Explore local recovery groups. If you have a little extra leisure time this summer season, use it to meet others in the recovery community. Making new friends and hearing similar stories will help you feel less isolated and more motivated to stick with your sobriety this summer and beyond!
Wishing you a season of sober fun in the sun!
Summertime at Rising Roads Recovery
Make summer the season you decide to embark on a path toward lasting sobriety. At Rising Roads, we offer our female clients a variety of addiction treatment programs that support their recovery and nurture their mind, body and soul. To learn more about how we can help you or someone you love – call us toll-free today: 866-746-1558.