Many people associate New Year’s Eve with drinking and partying, but if you’re in recovery, you can still ring in 2022 without compromising any of the progress you have made. Keep your health and happiness at the top of your priority list as the calendar turns to a brand-new year.
Here are our favorite sober New Year’s Eve ideas in the Orange County area, plus some tips for an at-home celebration.
1. Attend a Virtual Group Meeting
The holidays can be a test of your commitment to sobriety, especially if you struggle with seasonal depression or find yourself unable to avoid people and places that remind you of drinking. Get support from one of the hundreds of AA groups that meet online during the holidays. Some of these are open 24/7 for anyone who needs extra support on New Year’s Eve or any other time.
2. New Year’s Eve at Knott’s
Family-friendly New Year’s Eve activities can be challenging to find. If you have children and are searching for a memorable way to welcome in 2022, Knott’s Merry Farm is hosting a park-wide party all day on Dec. 31. With live music, comedy, magic, DJs, a buffet and a midnight fireworks display, this event promises to have a little something for everyone.
3. Noon Year’s Eve Confetti Countdown
The Pretend City Children’s Museum has created a beloved tradition that lets families with younger kids ring in the new year with four separate confetti countdowns throughout the day. Children will learn about New Year’s Eve in different time zones and have the opportunity to participate in themed art and counting activities.
More Tips for a Sober New Year’s Eve Celebration
If you’d prefer to have a quiet New Year’s Eve, you can stay in and celebrate at home. Here are some ideas to spark your creativity.
- Treat yourself to a spa night with activities like a moisturizing face mask, a foot peel or a manicure.
- Spend some time quietly thinking about your accomplishments in 2021 and planning some realistic goals for 2022. You can write these in a journal or map them out on a vision board.
- Grab your favorite healthy snacks and snuggle up on the couch for a holiday movie marathon.
- Take an online course in something that’s always interested you. You could learn another language, study works of classic literature or uncover a new skill – the potential is virtually endless.
- If you like to cook, you can spend some time in the kitchen whipping up a holiday feast or indulgent dessert. This idea can be a way to get the whole family involved if you’re looking to delegate some tasks like measuring or prepping ingredients.
- Challenge friends and family members to a game night featuring your favorite card or board games.
- Focus on the spiritual side of your recovery by attending a virtual worship service or participating in a guided online meditation.
Women’s Mental Health and Addiction Treatment in Santa Ana, CA
At Rising Roads Recovery, we are committed to fostering a supportive environment where women uplift and nurture each other. We create connections and a sense of community by giving our clients the time, space and patience they need to get in touch with their authentic selves. If you are having trouble with your mental well-being or struggling with substance abuse, please reach out to us to learn more about how we can help.